Friday, July 02, 2010

Quarter-final playlist

Uruguay

I've put them up before but here's Los Iracundos, one of the better beat combos from the banks of the River Plate in the 1960s. Still going strong:



Ghana

There were many greats from Ghana's Highlife scene but none are bigger than E.T. Mensah:


The Netherlands


I could have gone for Nits, Shocking Blue or even, shudder, Acker Bilk but I'm going to pick a staple of my indie-youth existence, Bettie Serveert, named after the great Bettie Stove:



Brazil

Where do you start with Brazil? Elza Soares on account of her being married to none other than Garrincha? Tom Jobim? Gilberto Gil? Chico Buarque? Bondê do Role? Tetin? CSS? Sepultura? Gal Costa? Marcos Valle? Quarteto em cy? João Gilberto? I'll settle with the godfather of samba himself, Cartola, and his magnificent cover of Candeia's 'Preciso me encontrar'



Argentina

I suppose I should go for some tango but with a nod to Carlos Tevez, who likes this sort of thing, here's Los Fabulosos Cadillacs:




Germany


It can only be Can:



Spain

Los Planetas: presumably the Castillian for Hüsker Dü






Paraguay

OK, I'll admit, I had to dig out some Paraguayan rock. The ska group Ripe Banana Skins were the pick of the crop.




Paraguay

I'll admit I had to look hard to dig out some Paraguayan rock. Ska group Ripe Banana Skins were among the pick of the crop.




1 comments:

Bla Farry said...

You are such a major geek sometimes. But in the best possible way!